The mark of forgiveness is a degree of peace. The more peaceful you feel about it, the more thorough the forgiveness.
Tips for compassion:
- It’s not a belief or an idea. Use it or lose it; it’s like a muscle. Practicing compassion in daily life means being mindful of the people you are surrounded by every day. It means being conscious of their wish for happiness and aversion toward suffering that all beings share.
- "To understand everything is to forgive everything." ~ Buddha; by practicing forgiveness, we create the space for understanding.
- Compassion is the practice of cultivating a sense of infinite loving peace while generating the intense wish to relieve the suffering of others.
- “When another person makes you suffer, it is because he suffers deeply within himself, and his suffering is spilling over. He does not need punishment; he needs help. That’s the message he is sending.” ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
- “Under the present brutal and primitive conditions on this planet, every person you meet should be regarded as one of the walking wounded. We have never seen a man or woman not slightly deranged by either anxiety or grief. We have never seen a totally sane human being.” ~ Robert Anton Wilson
- Practice tonglen, both in solitude and out in daily life.
- Read anything by the Dalai Lama or Pema Chodron.